Subject: Does LW have local axes?
From: [email-masked] (David Oxley)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:56:39 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

One Modeler feature that I haven't discovered (yet?) and which I miss from
Imagine is that of object local axes.  Local axes permit object
modifications to be performed in the object's local coordinate space, as
opposed to using the world coordinate system.

I found this extremely handy when I had positioned and oriented an object,
and then found I needed to resize it, twist it, or otherwise deform it. 
For example, local axes make rotation around axes other than the major X,
Y and Z easy.  They also make resizing simple: take a tube, tilted at some
angle, and try to make it longer.  With world coordinates, you first have
to rotate it so that it aligns to one of the major axes, then size it,
then rotate it back to where it was.  With local axes, you just resize
along the local axis of your choice.

Does anyone know whether local axes will be included in LW4.0?  Stuart?  I
am still quite new to LW3.5, so if the answer is RTFM, please tell me
which page ;-)

Regards, David Oxley, Logica UK Ltd.  <[email-masked]>